Tweet Me!

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Bullying - My fears and hopes as a mother

I posted this on Facebook a while back, but somehow it never made it here.

A decade ago (well, more than that now, but close) we watched the horror of Columbine (and other tragedies like Paducah and Little Rock) where the result of bullying was the lashing out of those who were bullied so that they took the lives of others in their desperation.  What did we do? We didn't stop the bullying. We didn't tell our kids how wrong it was or pound into their young brains (I was a kid then, Columbine was my junior year of high school) how much harm and heartbreak they were doing to those they bullied. It was never stressed how very wrong it was, or even what exactly bullying is. We were given mesh backpacks and told we couldn't wear black and made to walk through metal detectors and be watched by security guards and cops.  We were taught fear, not tolerance.

At what point does "harmless fun poking" and "gossip" become bullying and defamation of character? When is it too much? We never taught that lesson. Even adults bully. We say bad things about even our friends behind their backs. I grew up being bullied. Not pushed around or cursed at or taunted, just shunned or snipped at, or worse nasty comments made when my back was turned or people thought I wasn't listening. It still hurts when I think about it, so I try really hard not to. It was so bad that even now, although people are nice to my face, I always wonder what they say when I'm not around - ESPECIALLY if they bad mouth other people behind their backs when I'm around.

Now, the result of bullying is no less tragic.

Instead of killing others, the victims of bullying turn their pain and anger inward. They cut, they cry, they ultimately kill themselves in way too many instances. The pain wrought by "harmless" words ends in the worst way possible. Never is a punch thrown, no kids are pushed down, half the time no mean words are ever spoken to the target's face. It's surreptitious, insidious, and devastating.

At what point do we teach kids better?!? My child has autism. He is disabled, and has a lot of difficulty with understanding social mores. Often he does strange things in order to cope with the world around him (Ear muffs at the grocery store? Roaring at friends when things are overstimulating him? Melting down for 45 minutes when he can't express his needs?).  He is afraid to be around our next door neighbor's 9 year old daughter (or their son). He knows that she says mean things to him, calls him stupid, calls him baby, taunts him and tells him he can't play with her and her brother (who is Aidan's age).  Where in the world did she learn this behavior? Considering that when I approached her parents about her brother's bullying of Aidan, we were only answered with "Well Aidan sometimes does stuff too".  Wow. Really?  The fear that the bullying will only get worse as Aidan gets older and kids get meaner terrifies me. I can't even bear the fact that he might have to deal with the bullying I did - or worse.

How do we teach kids what defines bullying and why it's so harmful? When do we finally get across to them that enough is enough, and not only should they not bully but they shouldn't stand by while someone is BEING a bully? How bad do the consequences have to be, how many kids have to die before we finally say ENOUGH IS ENOUGH?!

As one of those kids who was an "outcast" and never one of the "cool kids", I vow that my child will know exactly what bullying is and why it's wrong, and that he will be taught that it is NEVER acceptable, whether he's the one doing it, or someone is doing it to him or someone around him.  Will you do the same and stop this endless cycle of heartbreak?

1 comment:

  1. This post really broke my heart. I know what it was like to be in your place. The same fears for my own future children plague me if I think about them.

    ReplyDelete